Desperately want twins? While it is almost impossible to guarantee a twin pregnancy, there are ways to boost your chances.
Here are some tips:
1. It is easier to conceive twins if you are over 35 years old. This is because the hormone estrogen increases as women mature, and it plays an important role in stimulating the ovaries to release eggs each month. Another reason is because follicle stimulating hormone (FSH) tends to surge in the later years, leading to hyper stimulation of the ovaries.
2. Women who have had a baby or two also tend to have higher chances of conceiving with twins.
3. This is out of your control but studies have shown that women from Nigerian and African/American heritage have much higher chances of having twins. Asian women have the lowest incidence.
4. If you are a twin yourself, or your mother or mother’s mother were twins, or have siblings who are twins, then congratulations – you have a higher chance of conceiving twins!
5. If you really, really want to have twins, opt for an assisted reproduction. Commonly prescribed fertility drugs stimulate the ovaries to support more than one ovarian follicle to maturity. The more eggs to fertilize, the greater the likelihood of conception occurring.
6. Have a BMI (body mass index) of over 30. However, this could not be healthy as a BMI of 30 typically means that you’re on the overweight/obese category.
7. Be taller! Unfortunately, this one too is out of your control, so blame your parents all you want 😉
8. Take folic acid supplements one month before conception.