A baby thermometer is a mom’s best friend. But, choosing the right thermometer for your baby is the first step to ensuring his/her health. Here, we have chosen the top 3 baby thermometers!
But first, let us discover the three main types of thermometers:
- Digital thermometers: Digital thermometers use electronic heat sensors to record body temperature. They can be used in the rectum, mouth, or armpit, where the armpit is considered the least accurate.
- Digital ear thermometers: They use an infrared ray to measure the temperature from inside the ear canal.
- Temporal artery thermometers: These ones use an infrared scanner to measure the temperature of the forehead.
Without further ado…
1. Safety 1st Gentle Read Rectal Thermometer
Rectal thermometers are best for newborns because they are the most accurate method for taking temperature. A fever in new babies is worrisome and requires immediate medical attention.
This thermometer is easy to use; it reads in 8 seconds and beeps when complete. It has a flexible tip and a big body that prevents over-insertion, which is why we recommend this specialized thermometer instead of a regular digital one.
Get the Safety 1st Gentle Read Rectal Thermometer at Amazon for $8.56
You might want to stop using a rectal thermometer after your baby passes 3 months old and switch to a forehead thermometer.
2. QQcute Digital Infrared Forehead Thermometer
According to Mayo Clinic, there is research that suggests that a temporal artery thermometer might also provide accurate readings in newborns.
For newborns and up, this forehead and ear reader is really the easiest and least invasive. It’s reads temperature in 1 second. Furthermore, it stores and recalls up to 20 readings. The downside is that no battery is included.
Our favorite baby thermometer, the QQcute Digital Infrared Forehead Thermometer, is available at Amazon for $24.99
3. Clinical Digital Thermometer FDA Approved 10 sec
When your newborn is ready to graduate from the rectal thermometer, you can’t go wrong with this “old-school” multi-purpose thermometer. It is FDA approved and tested flexible for infants, kids, adults, and pets for oral, rectal, basal axillary (armpit) fever measurements. The good thing is that it reads in 10 seconds, which is 6 times faster than any normal digital thermometer. Whether you’re used to reading in Fahrenheit or Celsius, you have the option of changing the setting.
We like this because it comes with a lifetime warranty and 10 free disposable probes!
Get the Clinical Digital Thermometer at Amazon for $10.85
On how to use these thermometers, go to How To Correctly Take Your Baby’s Temperature.