Looking for bread recipes for your kids and the family? Then look no further. Here are some bread recipes for you. It is also a nice kitchen activity to get your kids to do together for some bonding time. Enjoy!
1. Fruity Banana Bread
- 170g ripe bananas
- 70g vegetable oil
- 2 eggs
- 120ml water
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 250g self raising flour
- 1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 2 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp cinnamon powder
- 40g raisins
- 40g chopped apricots
How to make:
- Preheat your oven to 200°C / 180°C fan / gas mark 6
- In a medium mixing bowl, mash the banana then beat together with the oil, eggs, water and vanilla extract until creamy
- Mix in the flour, baking powder, bicarbonate of soda and cinnamon
- Stir in the raisins and chopped apricots
- Spoon into a 1lb loaf tin and level off
- Bake for 40-45mins in oven or until the knife comes out clean when inserted
- When cooked, tip out onto a wire rack and leave to cool before slicing
For more info, visit Organix’s website.
2. Rosemary Bread Sticks
- 1 package 2 1/2 tsp active dry yeast
- 1 1/2 cups warm water
- 1/2 tsp sea salt optional-okay for children two years and above and of course adults too
- 2 cups plus 1 Tbsp all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup fresh rosemary leaves finely chopped
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper (optional)
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup of freshly grated parmesan cheese (optional)
How to make:
Dissolve the yeast in the water, and let it sit for 10 minutes. Add the salt and the 2 cups flour. Using the hood attachment, mix at low speed, gradually increasing to high until smooth.
Sprinkle 1 Tbsp flour on the starter in a bowl. Cover it with plastic wrap or a damp dishtowel and set it in a warm spot for about 1 hour, until the starter has doubled in size.
Add the oil, rosemary, salt, and pepper, parmesan cheese to the starter and mix well on low. Add the flour in 1/2-cup increments. Repeat until the dough forms into a sticky ball, but doesn’t stick to your hand
Preheat the oven to 400 F. Grease a sheet pan very lightly with olive oil
Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface. Sprinkle it with the remaining 1/2 cup of flour, and knead by hand for about 10 minutes, until the dough is smooth and elastic
Take a 1-ounce portion of the dough and roll it on the work surface with both hands in a back-and-forth motion.
Lay the sticks on the baking sheet. Bake for 5 to 8 minutes, until crisp and brown. Remove the bread sticks from the oven and let cool.
For more info, visit What to Cook Today’s website.
3. Cauliflower Bread Sticks
- 1 head cauliflower (about 2 pounds)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg (or 2 egg whites)
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup shredded cheddar
- Marinara sauce for serving (optional)
- 1 teaspoon dried Italian seasoning
How to make:
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Remove the outer leaves and cut it into florets. Place them in the bowl of a food processor and pulse until the cauliflower is finely chopped and looks like rice.
- Transfer the cauliflower to a microwave-safe dish or bowl. Cover and cook in the microwave for 10 minutes. Alternatively, you can steam the cauliflower in a steamer basket or bake it in the oven at 375 for 20 minutes.
- When the cauliflower is cool, transfer it to a bowl lined with a kitchen towel or cheesecloth. Bring the ends of the cloth together and squeeze as much liquid out of the cauliflower as you can. I got about ½ cup liquid.
- Transfer the cauliflower to a mixing bowl and add the egg, Italian seasoning, ½ cup cheese, ¼ teaspoon salt and 1/8 teaspoon pepper. Mix to combine.
- Transfer the mixture to a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Form the dough into a rectangle about 8 x 12 inches and ¼-inch thick.
- Bake in the oven 15-20 minutes until cooked. Remove the baking sheet and sprinkle the remaining ½ cup cheese over the top. Bake another 5 minutes until cheese is melted.
For more info, visit Full Belly Sisters’ website.
4. Banana Toast
- 1 piece of bread, sliced into ‘fingers’
- 1 ripe banana
- 60 ml of your baby’s usual milk (breastmilk/formula/cow’s milk)
- Sprinkle of cinnamon
How to make:
- Place the banana, milk and cinnamon in a bowl and mash or blend until smooth.
- Heat a frying pan over medium heat. Dip the bread into the banana mixture and fry for 1-2 minutes on each side or until golden.
For more info, visit One Handed Cooks’ website.
5. Blueberry French Toast Casserole
- 12 slice – bread, whole wheat
- 8 large – egg white
- 1 1/2 cup – almond milk, unsweetened
- 2 teaspoon – almond extract
- 1/4 cup – honey
- 2 cup – blueberries
- 1 teaspoon – vanilla extract
- 2 teaspoon – cinnamon
- 1 – cooking spray
- 2 tablespoon – butter, unsalted
- 1/4 cup – maple syrup, pure
How to make:
- Cut bread slices into cubes (enough for 6 cups).
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the eggs, milk, honey, vanilla, almond extract, and cinnamon. Whisk well.
- Spray a 9X13 baking dish with cooking spray and fill it with the bread. Pour the liquid mixture over top, and toss to ensure all the bread is moistened. Allow to set for at least 30 minutes, then mix in the blueberries.
- Bake at 350°F for 40-45 minutes or until all the liquid is absorbed and the bread is golden.
- Allow to cool for 5-10 minutes before serving. Top with butter and maple syrup if desired.
For more info, visit Super Healthy Kids’ website.