Skip the potato chips and make snack time exciting and healthy again! Whether you’re a working mom or a dad who doesn’t cook, try these quick and easy finger food recipes for your toddler:
Cauliflower Cheese Egg Muffins
- 350g cauliflower florets
- 5 eggs
- 1 cup grated cheddar cheese
- Baby Spinach leaves and cherry tomatoes
- Roughly chop cauliflower.
- Blitz in a food processor until resembles a fine grain, like couscous.
- Whisk eggs.
- Add cheese and cauliflower.
- Season with salt and pepper if required.
- Fill greased muffin cups with egg mixture.
- Decorate with spinach leaves or cherry tomatoes if desired.
- Bake at 180 degrees celsius or 350 Fahrenheit for 15-20mins until firm/springy to touch.
- Cool for 5 mins in tray before serving.
For more info, follow My Kids Lick The Bowl’s website.
Spinach & Cream Baby Pies
- 1 cup plain flour
- 80g butter
- 3-4 tbsp water
- 2 tsp olive/rapeseed oil
- 2 shallots, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 2 packed cups spinach
- 1/2 cup double cream
- 1/4 cup parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup brown bread crumbs
- black pepper
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees C.
- In a bowl sieve your flour, then add the butter and using your fingers rub into the flour until it resembles fine breadcrumbs. Add your water (1 tablespoon at a time) and using your hands mix into the flour and butter until it resembles a dough that sticks together.
- Roll on a floured surface until thin and then use a small circular cookie cutter to shape out 24 mini circles.
- Place these into your greased mini muffin baking tin and refrigerate until you are ready to add your filling.
- Meanwhile, heat the olive oil in a frying pan and slowly sauté the shallots until soft but not brown, then add the garlic and cook for a further 3-4 minutes until it is cooked.
- Place the spinach on a chopping board and chop it finely before adding to the frying pan. Stir for about 2 minutes until it starts to wilt just slightly. It’s important not to overcook as we want to keep all those good nutrients!
- Add the cream and season with a little black pepper then mix well and remove from the heat.
- Spoon the mixture evenly into the pastry cases in your muffin tin. It should be enough to fill the 24 pies.
- In a bowl mix the bread crumbs with the parmesan cheese and then sprinkle over each of the muffins.
- Bake for 20-25mins until the top is golden. Can be served cold or warm.
For more info, visit Baby-Led Feeding’s website.
Sweet Potato Quinoa Bites
- 1/3 cup quinoa
- 2/3 cup water or stock
- 1 medium sweet potato (about 1 cup mashed)
- 1/4 tsp paprika
- 1/4 tsp cumin
- 1 tbsp olive or coconut oil
- Preheat oven to 390 degrees F.
- Roast the sweet potato until tender.
- In the meanwhile, rinse the quinoa in cold water.
- Place the quinoa in a pot with the water or stock and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat, cover and simmer until all the liquid has been absorbed, for about 15 minutes.
- Peel and mash or puree the sweet potato.
- Combine with the quinoa and the spices. Start with adding only half the quinoa to the potato mixture and keep adding more until the texture will become more crumbly. The patties should stick together pretty well. Some sweet potatoes are less starchy and will only “take” a part of the quinoa.
- Scoop about 2 tablespoon of mixture, form balls with wet hands and flatten them slightly.
- Heat a frying pan on a medium heat and add the oil to the pan.
- Sear the quinoa and sweet potato bites for 2-3 minutes on each side or until slightly browned.
- Cool slightly and serve.
For more info, hit up Feeding Bytes’ website.
Rainbow Omelette Cakes
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1/2 red pepper
- 2 spring onions
- 1 small carrot
- 2 tbsp sweetcorn
- 50g cheddar cheese
- 3 large eggs
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees C.
- Line a muffin tin with six silicone or paper cupcake cases. Prepare your ingredients – finely chop the pepper and spring onions, grate the carrot, drain and rinse the sweetcorn, grate the cheese.
- Warm the olive oil in a pan, then gently cook the pepper and spring onions for a couple of minutes until starting to soften. Take off the heat and add the grated carrot and sweetcorn. Break the eggs into a large bowl and whisk until frothy.
- Add all of the vegetables and the grated cheese to the eggs. Stir until combined.
- Spoon the mixture into the cupcake cases.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 25 minutes until cooked through and golden.
- Leave to cool in the tin for a few minutes before serving warm.
For more info, visit Eats Amazing’s website.
Mini Pea Pancakes
- 1 cup frozen peas (cooked as per instructions on pack)
- 1/2 cup rolled oats
- 50g feta cheese
- 1/2 cup Cottage cheese
- 2 eggs
- Whizz all ingredients in a food processor until smooth.
- Heat a heavy based pan on a medium to low heat.
- Lightly grease.
- Drop spoonfuls of the mixture into the pan.
- Wait for bubbles to appear on the surface and then flip.
- Cook until golden on both sides.
For more info, hit up My Kids Lick The Bowl’s website.
Thai Chicken Meatballs
- 500 g chicken mince
- 1/4 cup oyster sauce
- 2 garlic clove
- 1 tbsp self-raising flour
- 1 tbsp fish sauce
- 1/2 cup coriander
- 160 ml coconut milk
- Preheat oven to 200 degrees C. Spray two 12 hole muffin tins with olive oil.
- Combine mince, oyster sauce, garlic, flour, fish sauce, coriander and coconut milk in a large bowl.
- Place rounded tablespoons of mixture into prepared pans.
- Bake for about 15 minutes or until cooked.
For more info, visit Kid Spot’s website.
Lemony Fish Bites
- 1kg boneless fresh white fish
- 1/3 cup plain flour
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 3/4 cup whoelgrain bread crumbs
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- Finely grated rind of 2 lemons
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- Slice the fish into 20 bites – about 2cm x 3cm.
- Place the flour in a bowl. Break eggs into another bowl and whisk to combine.
- Combine the crumbs and lemon rind in a third bowl. Place a fish finger in the flour bowl and cover well, dust off any excess.
- Dip the flour-coated fish bites in egg and then in the breadcrumb mixture. Repeat for remaining fish bites.
- Cover the base of a large frypan with oil and heat over high heat.
- Cook fish bites for 3-4 minutes each side until golden brown.
- Drain on paper towel and serve immediately.
For more info, visit Kid Spot’s website.